Confluence is excited to cosponsor a series of free screenings of the award-winning documentary film Stewart Udall: The Politics of Beauty in Vancouver, WA and Astoria, OR. The film tells the story of Stewart Udall, a Democratic congressman from Arizona and former Secretary of Interior whose legacy is defined by his contributions to environmental conservation and social justice in the 1960s. Udall was key in the passing of many landmark pieces of legislation such as the Endangered Species Preservation Act of 1966 and the Wilderness Act of 1964, and was responsible for the addition of a massive amount of public lands including national parks, historic monuments, recreational areas, and wildlife refuges. As a civil rights advocate, Udall used his platform to advocate for racial integration on public lands. After leaving public office, he went on to advocate for communities in Nevada affected by nuclear weapons testing and for Navajo workers impacted by uranium mining.
Confluence is partnering with Columbia Land Trust to present three screenings of the film, each co–sponsored by different local organizations! Each screening will also include a Q&A facilitated by the presenting sponsors in conversation with the filmmakers.
- Date: Thursday, January 25th, 2024
- Time: Doors at 6:00pm, program from 7:00 – 9:00pm
- Location: Fort George Brewery+ Public House in the Lovell Building
- Location Address: 1483 Duane St, Astoria, OR 97103
- Parking: Street parking
- Registration: This event is free to the public and is open to all ages. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis, with no registration required.
- Summary: Nature Matters is a lively conversation held on the fourth Thursday of each month, October through May. Nature Matters is hosted by Lewis and Clark National Historical Park, in partnership with the North Coast Watershed Association, the Lewis & Clark National Park Association, and the Fort George Brewery + Public House. On January 25th, there will be a screening of Stewart Udall: The Politics of Beauty, a documentary about the life and conservation legacy of Stewart Udall. Presenting cosponsors Columbia Land Trust and Confluence, will join and will facilitate Q&A after the film with consulting producer Laurence Cotton.